Skip to main content
Tag

corona virus

Sturgis Rally Bikernet Weekly News for August 12, 2021

By General Posts

It’s All Happening Now!

Hey,

It’s wild and the truth is still pending. Some brothers are excited about the super-strong rally. Others think the numbers are down.

Let us know how your rally week went. And keep riding fast and free until the end.

–Bandit

Click here to Read the Weekly News about all things on two-wheels at Bikernet.com

Join the Cantina for more – Subscribe Today

https://www.bikernet.com/pages/custom/subscription.aspx

Pentagon rejects permit request by veterans group for Memorial Day motorcycle ride

By General Posts

by Nikki Wentling from https://www.stripes.com

WASHINGTON – The Defense Department rejected a request from organizers of a traditional Memorial Day weekend motorcycle ride in the nation’s capital, throwing logistics of the event into uncertainty just weeks before it is scheduled to take place.

Motorcyclists typically use the Pentagon’s parking lot as a staging area for the ride, but defense officials denied the permit application Friday for this year’s event. Officials cited the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and the size of the expected crowd as the reason.

Despite the denial, thousands of motorcyclists are planning to gather in Washington during Memorial Day weekend. As of Monday, organizers didn’t know where to gather the riders before and after they drive along the National Mall.

AMVETS, a national veterans organization, is coordinating the motorcycle ride. The group said it was committed to still running the event on May 30 and organizers were searching Monday for a backup plan.

“There are no options with as much space and convenient routes to the memorials, meaning it will be more difficult, disruptive, and expensive than if the Pentagon parking lots were available,” said Joe Chenelly, national executive director of AMVETS.

The group criticized the Pentagon’s slow decision-making process. Chenelly said he applied in July to use the Pentagon parking lot on May 30. He was expecting to hear back by January.

Chenelly told the Pentagon last month that he needed an answer by April 16. Officials called with their decision on Friday.

“The biggest disappointment in the Pentagon’s denial was that AMVETS was ignored for months as its professional staff in Washington requested numerous times an opportunity to hear the Defense Department’s concerns and present a [coronavirus] safety plan,” Jan Brown, the national commander of AMVETS, said in a statement.

AMVETS leaders said they were confident they could hold a “safe, reasonable demonstration outdoors that incorporates social distancing, masking where appropriate, and sanitation stations.”

The group said it is a member of President Joe Biden’s new COVID-19 Community Corps, which is a contingent of local leaders and prominent organizations who were recruited to help inform and encourage Americans who might be hesitant to receive a vaccine.

“The administration included AMVETS in this new group as ‘a trusted voice in communities across the United States,’ but the Pentagon wouldn’t have a conversation with us to share their concerns and give us the chance to address them before deciding to refuse our application,” Chenelly said.

Rolling Thunder operated a motorcycle ride through Washington for 32 years before hosting its last event in 2019. AMVETS took over in 2020 and planned an event to replace the popular ride. It was designed to raise awareness for prisoners of war and troops still missing in action, as well as the issue of veteran suicide.

The event, now titled Rolling to Remember, was canceled last year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix cancelled because of coronavirus restrictions

By General Posts

by Ian Royall from https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/

The 2020 Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix, scheduled for October 25 at Phillip Island, has been cancelled because of coronavirus restrictions.

The four-day MotoGP weekend at the island is regional Victoria’s biggest sporting event, attracting more than 85,000 spectators and generating about $50 million for the state economy.

The Australian Grand Prix Corporation and the sport’s commercial rights holder Dorna made the call to cancel the GP, the latest event to get the axe.

The British GP, due to be held on August 30 at Silverstone, has also been cancelled.

No races have been held yet this year with tentative plans to start in Spain in late July.

Aussie Ducati rider Jack Miller said he was disappointed he would not be able to race in front of home fans at the island.

“It’s my favourite weekend of the whole year and it’s the best circuit in the world so it’ll be a shame not to be there,’’ Miller told the Herald Sun.

Miller finished third in the 2019 race at the island last October.

Mick Doohan, five-time 500cc world champion and AGPC board member said it would be the first year since 1997 that Phillip Island had not hosted the Australian GP.

“The race will return in 2021 and provide an opportunity to make it one of the biggest and best-attended MotoGP events we’ve seen, plus watch Miller take the win,” Doohan said.

Full refunds would be given to all ticket holders.

AGPC chairman Paul Little said the race would be back better than ever in 2021.

Dorna chief executive Carmelo Ezpeleta said: “We’re saddened to have to announce the cancellation of this iconic event after finding no way through the logistical and operational issues resulting from the pandemic and rearranged calendar.’’

The race cancellation will also be a major blow to the island’s tourism and hospitality industries which rely heavily on income from the GP weekend.

Jack Miller was just a skinny Townsville kid of 16 with a questionable haircut when he started racing in the 125cc world championship in 2011.

He finished just four races, including a 23rd place at his home circuit of Phillip Island.

But Miller worked hard, learnt his racecraft, graduated to premier class four years later and was this week elevated into the Ducati factory team for 2021.

His race performances last year were improved and consistent, earning him the coveted red leathers.

“It’s something (a factory ride) I’ve always dreamt of,’’ Miller said.

Now 25, Miller has spent the past two months on his parents’ property near Townsville, giving him time to reflect on his career so far.

“I’ve been pulling all my old leathers out of storage and hanging them up on the walls around the shed, so it’s been pretty cool to go through that and think back where it began and what’s to come in the future,” he said.

He’s spent his enforced break keeping fit and ripping around the farm on 450cc and 250cc two-stroke dirt bikes, about 45 hours in total.

“I’ve been keeping myself busy — I have a lot of little projects on the go while we’ve been in lockdown,” he said.

Miller has signed a one-year deal with Ducati with an option for a second.

It’s still not clear who he will replace, but it’s more likely he will partner Andrea Dovizioso with talk linking Danilo Petrucci to the manufacturer’s World Superbike team.

Petrucci won his home GP at Mugello last year but his form fell away in the second half of the year.

It is clear that all manufacturers are trying to find someone to break Marc Marquez’s hold on the championship.

But for now, Miller just wants the 2020 championship to start after COVID-19.

“I can’t wait, especially the bike we had in testing in Qatar and Sepang, we believe we can do some special things,” he said.

“We’ve (Pramac) still got a lot of unfinished business — the way things ended last year and how pre-season testing went, we’re in good shape to repay Pramac.

Miller finished a career-best eighth in last year’s championship, with five podium finishes.

He hopes to head back to Europe by mid-June to start preparations.

Dorna, the sport’s commercial rights holder, has said it hopes to start racing at Jerez in Spain by late July, followed by more races in Europe.

KTM joins BMW Motorrad in opting out of EICMA, Intermot due to coronavirus pandemic

By General Posts

by Express Drives Desk from https://www.financialexpress.com/

In the best interest of their employees and customers, KTM AG will withdraw from global trade shows for the rest of the year, including INTERMOT in Cologne, Germany and the EICMA exhibition in Milan, Italy.

KTM AG have announced that the company will not participate in the motorcycle shows – EICMA and Intermot – this year due to continuing uncertainties prevailing because of the coronavirus pandemic. This means that both brands – KTM and Husqvarna – will be absent from the two very important motorcycle shows. Earlier this month, BMW Motorrad also announced opting out of the two shows as well. KTM AG has gone on to suggest event organisers, especially of EICMA, to move the dates to 2021.

The press statement from KTM AG reads that the company assessed their overall strategy for the rest of 2020 and have decided to make several key decisions in the wake of COVID-19 impacting public health, communities, the motorcycle industry and business on a global scale.

In the best interest of their employees and customers, the company will withdraw from global trade shows for the rest of the year, including INTERMOT in Cologne, Germany and the EICMA exhibition in Milan, Italy.

The proper planning of such events is currently at risk due to the uncertainty surrounding public gathering restrictions in most countries. The annual success of these indoor shows also sees hundreds of thousands of visitors gathering in enclosed spaces for a period lasting days and even weeks. For these reasons, KTM AG have identified their exclusion as a way to contribute towards a safe and strong return to normal activity.

Husqvarna Motorcycles will push ahead with current and future projects in order to provide the motorcycling market with exciting and innovative models and look for the best ways to show-off these developments. The KTM AG board of directors wishes to communicate that the coming months represent a small squeeze on the brake, but hands are very much poised on the throttle for the rest of 2020.

“Trade shows are key business milestones for the entire motorcycle industry but given the situation, public health and the welfare of our staff are higher priorities over the coming months. We have taken this course of action with a great deal of thought and, as a company, KTM AG would be pleased and interested if show promoters, EICMA in particular, would consider moving dates to 2021, where we hope and expect the situation to be settled and back to normal,” Hubert Trunkenpolz, KTM AG CMO, said.