Two single-owner collections will headline the motorcycle section of the Bonhams sale at the Grand Palais in Paris in early February.
The Garelli Grand Prix Collection comprises some two-dozen historic racing motorcycles from the celebrated Italian manufacturer, many from the factory’s 1980s heyday, and a selection from its prewar days. All the machines, which were housed by their current owner in a private chapel, will be sold at no reserve.
Highlights include the 1963 Garelli 50cc Monza world record breaker (estimate €50,000-€70,000); the ex-Eugenio Lazzarini 1983 50cc racer that helped Garelli to the manufacturers’ World Championship that year (estimate €12,000-€17,000); and a 1987 example of the 125cc twin that won six riders’ world championships and four manufacturers’ titles during the 1980s (estimate €7,000-€12,000).
Also forming part of the collection are two important non-Garelli racing motorcycles: the ex-Fred Merkel Honda RC30 ridden by the American World Superbike champion during the 1989/90 season (estimate €20,000-€30,000), and the 1989 Yamaha TZ250W used by French star Jean-François Baldé during his final season of Grand Prix racing (estimate €3,500-€5,500).
Garelli Motorcycles was founded in 1919. Many famous Italian racers – including Ernesto Gnesa, Tazio Nuvolari and Achille Varzi – began their racing careers on Garelli bikes, and in the early 1980s the factory dominated the 125 class in grand prix motorcycle racing, winning six consecutive world championships between 1982 and 1987.
Lining up alongside the Garellis is an important French private collection assembled by garage-owning enthusiast owner, the late Claude Lesellier. The eclectic mix of some 55 machines includes French, British, German and American motorcycles dating from the early vintage era to the modern day.
- 1935 Magnat Debon 750cc VMA v-twin (estimate €8,000 – €12,000)
- 1950 Terrot 500cc RGST (estimate €4,500 – €6,500)
- 1945 Terrot 350cc JSS (estimate €3,000 – €4,000)
- 1929 Rhonyx 500cc GX (estimate €6,000 – €10,000)
- 1930 Dollar 500cc S3 (estimate €5,000 – €6,000)
- 1927 Automoto 500cc AL11 Supersport (estimate €10,000 – €15,000)
- c.1921 Magnat Debon 250cc (estimate €6,500 – €8,500)
- 1918 Harley-Davidson Model 18F Combination (estimate €16,000 – €20,000)
- 1916 Indian 1,000cc Powerplus (estimate €20,000 – €25,000)
- 1930 Stylson 350cc RH (estimate €4,000 – €5,000)
- 1931 Arbinet 350cc BSSC (estimate €5,000 – €7,000)
Final entries for the auction are being accepted. For further information call +33 1 42 61 10 11 or email: email@example.com.